My trip from point A to point B and making it to Z



Last night I had a pleasant discussion with my mom about what I've done to get where I am and how this business works. At times, yes..I feel doubtful and irritated at how everything works and sometimes I feel ecstatic and indestructible!

I recently came across a box filled with newspaper cut outs, trinkets from fashion shows and fashion related events, backstage passes, etc. I had found my "Fashion Box". This was a box I created when I was first able to step into the Fashion Industry and was so inspired and in awe of everything I was a part of I had to keep bits and pieces!

Two items in particular that I had found really hit me to my core. One was a checklist I created and periodically marked off from the first ever fashion show I produced. I can now say comfortably, it was a flop. Although nobody else thought it was, I remember crying in the back at the end to Nery Monzen (a show producer himself). I remember his words vividly; "This is your first show! Nobody expects you to be great, you take what you did and you run with it and work on it". I did exactly what he said and ran right out the door and never did a show again!!! Although I realized show production just wasn't for me.

The second item I found was a newspaper cut out of the Jacquline Conoir Fashion Show. I was a backstage dresser for BC Fashion Week and helped with a few front of house duties - it was one of the very first fashion shows I was a part of. Years later (February 2012) I was in Fashion Magazine with a photo from a JC show and (2 days ago) I proudly sat front row and watched what others had dressed.

This blurb is by no means a shameless self promotion but instead a read for some of you out there that are feeling like no matter how hard you work in the industry, no matter how many clothes you pack in the trunk, how many coffees you pick up, etc. you're just not where you want to be. You just have to wait because good things come those who do. I am also in no way at the top point of my career just yet, but at 24 I have a great handle on everything. Nothing in the this business comes for free and if it does then check the expiration date - no handouts, just helpful tips.

Cherish EVERY moment of what you do in this industry because it takes you places that you didn't even think of. Say hello and introduce yourself to EVERY person you meet at EVERY event because these are the people you will be spending your years with. Don't take any moment for granted because it makes you who you are.

xoxoxo

2 comments:

  1. Love this post Randa, it's so inspiring! There are so many creative young ladies leading successful business here in Vancouver (you're one of them!) and it excites me! Now I'll just have to jump on the bandwagon (again) too :-)

    xo Leonie

    Currently Coveting...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post Randa! It's so great to see that your hard work is paying off. Although I don't know yet if I'll be a part of the fashion industry or not... I'm still undecided... Sometimes, even with just a blog, it can be disheartening when the work you put in isn't noticed or acknowledged. Thanks for the motivation & inspiration - and I wish you the best of luck with everything! Your 'ISeeNoise' prints are doing so well and they're beautiful. Keep up that creative talent and it will take you far :)

    Xo Chelle
    discoveringelegance.com

    ReplyDelete